Monday, March 20, 2006

Run Forrest, Run!

Not that I have ever had a desire to watch this movie, I thought the quote was appropriate.

I asked my husband yesterday if I was obsessed. I feel obsessed. I feel like my life is revolving around running right now. Not that that is a bad thing, as obsessions go....

Can I say, running on a treadmill vs outside really sucks. I know sometimes you have no other option if you want to get the miles in, but anything more than 3 or 4 miles just bites the big one. I think it has to do with the fact that you have no ups and downs (hills) and you run at one unchanging, unwavering pace.

I did my 6 miles on the treadmill on Friday. At the Y. It took me an hour and 8 minutes. The last 8 minutes was a trial, since they set the maximum time on the treadmill for 60 minutes, and technically, I was running in the Warm Down time. This meant that every minute, the treadmill slowed down, and I had to bump up the speed again. Yep, no fun.

Eric and I went to the car show in the evening then. I got to sit in some cute cars - really wish I would have been able to test drive some of them. About 9:30, I really started fading quickly, so we went home and crawled into bed.

I was just worn out and sore on Saturday, after the 6 miles on Friday. I did not feel that way after I ran 6 miles outside... and I did it faster when I was outside. I decided I was going to opt out of running that day, and instead, I would concentrate on getting my house ready for my Pampered Chef party. It went off pretty well, even if I did drink 3 beers, and then decided I needed junk food...

Sunday, I laid in bed, watching TV for a while, then decided I needed to get my rear in gear and hit the pavement for the prescribed 6-mile run. (or more, if you feel like it - according to the schedule...) So I headed out all ready to do about 7 miles.

Was not feeling the running love at all. Usually, it takes a while to get in the groove, so I was trying to get past that, but 2.5 miles it, was still not feeling it.... It just was like the universe was telling me that I should just go home. Somewhere in the first mile, I lost my scarf. Noticed it was gone just past my first mile marker. Debated with myself, and figured I would look for it on the way home. The path around the lake was not cleared very well, so I was running pretty gingerly. I need to retire the pair of shoes I was wearing, since my feet were kind of hurting me almost into two miles into the run (shoes are ones that correct you from rolling your feet towards the instep, and I tend to run on the outsides of my feet. Got the shoes before I discovered the correct type, but they WERE still pretty comfortable) The underwear I chose were giving me fits, and trying their best to fall down on me. Thankfully, I was wearing running tights that prevented them from going anywhere really nasty, but still had to adjust them several times - thankfully the path is pretty wooded, so there were no witnesses. At about 2.5 miles, my digital music player's battery went dead. After that, I stepped in a puddle that was deeper than I thought, and my right foot got pretty wet. Step, squish, step, squish. YUK. At about that time, I figured I was going to go home, and was only going to get 5 miles in.

So I went running back the way I came, looking about to try and find my scarf. I had pretty much given up on finding it, when I saw it laying in the road. So I guess there was some happy in there.

So that's my weekend. I leave for Chicago on the 1:20 flight this afternoon, and I get to look forward to running on the treadmill in the hotel for two days. Joy.

Anyhoo, I have more, but need to get some work done. Perhaps I can get connected in my hotel room this evening.

Ta!
~a

1 comment:

AnnekeS said...

And I cannot get on an elliptical machine without my toes falling asleep in the first 10 minutes, so I despise those! (Hopefully you will be getting yours soon!)