Wednesday, March 15, 2006

I feel the need, the need for SPEED!

Monday was a day off on the training schedule, so indeed, I took the day off. Which was probably a good thing, with all of the snow that we got here - there were other things that really needed to get done.

I ended up putzing around the house on Monday evening, going through mail, getting things ready for recycling on Tuesday, and sitting in on a conference call (instead of 12 of us going out in the snow for a face-to-face meeting). Dinner was leftover mashed potatos, and broiled tuna steaks that I had marinated in lime juice, ginger and soy sauce. Yummers.

Yesterday the schedule said 3 miles, easy. Easy for whom? Like I am going to go out and battle snow drifts! I ended up having to wait for my stepson to come home with the vehicle before I could go to the YMCA to spend some time on the treadmill. His vehicle needs new tires, brakes and rotors, so he has been using our 2nd vehicle to get to and from work. Problem is, he works until at least 6pm. I suppose I could have taken my work truck, but with all of the decals on it, it looks a bit conspicuous.

So I got to the Y at about 7, and had to sign up to wait for a treadmill. I really thought about leaving (it was only 3 miles for gosh sakes), but stuck it out and stretched for about 10 minutes whilst I waited for someone to leave. As I was going over to get on the treadmill that opened up when it was my turn, I saw some lady going to get on the machine. I think I was a bit of a bitch to her - "Did you sign up on the list????" "No" "Well I have been waiting for over 10 minutes for a treadmill to open up..." I suppose it was better than screaming "MINE, MINE, MINE!!!"

In planning, I had figured that I would start out at 5.2 mph, and see how that went. Made a conscious effort to not run at the front of the treadmill, and to lengthen my stride. 5.2 was too slow, so I bumped it up to 5.5, and ran my 3 miles. Mission accomplished. Felt great too, was so energized after that! Ooooh, and the stretching was fabulous too. I know, it's kind of weird, but I love stretching after running. It would be even better if I trimmed down the tummy so I would not have that in the way.

After that, I went home and finished my book club book, My Sister's Keeper, since I have book club tonight. I really enjoyed it, it is kind of different, each chapter in the book is told through the point of view of the characters in the book, and it is really an interesting topic to think about - the character Anna in the book is concieved to be a donor match for her older sister who has leukemia, and it explores some of the issues involved in when and what do you get to decide for your children, medically speaking. Anna starts a lawsuit so she will not have to donate a kidney to her sister. She is 13.

Today, I have a lunch meeting, and I have my gym bag packed so I can hit the treadmill this afternoon before I need to get to my book club. Schedule for today says 5 miles. It says to run outside in all weather, but thanks, no, not taking chances on killing or hurting myslef on the snow pack or ice. At least I am getting in the miles!

off to the salt mines
~a

No comments: