Thursday, March 09, 2006

If it was easy, everyone would do it, it's the hard that makes it great.

Taking a cue from miss Snackie - it is a movie line though, not a song lyric.

Anyone know where it came from?

Anyhoo, I keep thinking about that line right now, when I am dragging my sorry butt out of bed in the morning to start in on the half marathon training plan. Well, not this morning, but I WILL be running after I go home this afternoon. Nothing that is worth anything is easy. It's the journey, and the persistance that shape and mold you, and if it was easy, everyone would do it!

I will say, I believe the "listen to your body" is working. I have not had any insane cravings, and have not been hungry enough to eat my arm. I turned down food in the break room when it was offered, because I was not hungry. When we went out to eat last night, I stopped eating when I was full, and put more than half of my dinner in a to-go box.

I spent two nights in Superior, Wi for work. Driving home yesterday afternoon was actually a bit retrospective, as it is a lot of times. I grew up there. Graduated High School from Superior Senior High. There are a lot of memories tied to the area, and not all of them good ones. I always felt like I was a bit of an outcast there - we moved when I was in third grade, and I guess I never really felt like I fit in. In grade school all of the little girls in my class signed a letter to me that basically told me that they "hated my guts" and did not want me hanging around with them any more. Hard to do when there is only one class of 6th graders - small country school. I think that is something that really affects me to this day, I am thrilled when people include me, and compliment me (although I don't always believe it) and feel kind of like Sally Fields' famous Oscar acceptance speach: "You really like me!"

So really, there it is, I am a people pleaser at heart. I want people to like me and to accept me and to fit into their groups. Although I still have skepticism - why are they being nice to me?

Driving yesterday reminded me of a time when our church group was making a trip to the Twin Cities, and I was sitting in the front (bench) seat next to a cute older guy who kept flirting with me, and I had no idea why. He made some comment later that he had tried his hardest to make nice to me, but I rebuffed him at every chance.

Why am I talking about this? Just some passing thoughts I wanted to get out. Today, I think I have moved past some of the skepticism, but am still trying to make people like me... and part of that is the reason I think I am trying to lose weight. I want people to like ME, and appearance is a large part of that, in my estimation.... (it can't have anything to do with the confidence you portray, can it?)

So anyway, that's the ramble.

Oh, and the registration check for the half marathon got cashed, so we are IN BABY!!!!!! June 17th is the date of the race.

toodles!
~a

4 comments:

JessiferSeabs said...

Oooh, I totally recognize that line but I can't place it...
Congats on getting into the half marathon! Woohoo!

Anonymous said...

It's from "A League of Their Own" as said by Tom Hanks' character.

AnnekeS said...

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

JessiferSeabs said...

God, I can't believe that movie gave us so many great quotes... "There's no crying in baseball!" is what I say anytime I can't really think of what to say but what to express outrage or disagreement