Monday, May 15, 2006

Slacker

Yep. That's my new name.

I am a slug. It has been determined.

Okay, best of intentions. Got to Calgary, figured I would go for a run on Tuesday afternoon. Yah, not so much. Turns out, the dinner that we were previously not invited to, they decided to add another table to include us (us being all of us lowly safety advisors). So I went out to dinner, with the open bar. WAY too much good food. (Why did they put us next to all of the deserts, so I could SEE how yummy they looked?) My only redemption was that I went straight back to the hotel to bed, and got up on Wednesday morning to run on the hotel treadmill. It was great that the exercise room was open 24 hours a day. Bad news was that I only manged 3 miles.

So, that day. All sorts of meetings. Meetings from 8 to 5:00, with a working lunch. Since I managed to eat both a muffin and a cinnamon roll, I avoided the deserts and cookies. With the time change and weird eating times, I started getting hungry at about 4:30, so I ate a granola bar in the back of the room. Then my vendor took me out to dinner that evening. That blueberry cosmo was divine!

Thought I would get up and exercise on Thursday. Didn't happen. Went in for breakfast and ate eggs, and potatos, and fruit. More meetings. Someone brought in donuts/muffins. Around 10am I succumbed to a jelly-filled muffin/fruit tart. (Where do they come up with these evils?) And the evil (translated: incredibly yummy) bars from the previous day were brought in to compliment my lunch (veggie wrap and greek salad).

Another trip to the bar on Thursday for "team building" before our "team dinner". I had a beer and at least 500 ml of wine. (we got two splits, but my co-worker did not drink as much as I did...) and back to the hotel after 9pm for the third evening in a row.

Friday, well, I woke up at 1:30 in the morning, and was up for about 45 minutes, feeling a bit heartburny (and with good reason... with all of the CRAP I had been eating), and had to be packed and out of the hotel catching a cab a little after 6am. Therefore, no run on Friday, either! And I was not able to catch any breakfast or coffee, before I needed to get on a conference call at 7am. It was supposed to be short. It finally wrapped up at 8:40, and I really felt since I was over an hour late for our day of meetings, I could not take the time to get something. When they finally gave us a break, I was nearly ready to eat my arm. And I really hate it when that happens. So guess what I purchased to tide me over? Cheetos. Are they not the breakfast of Champions?

Yep. This is what happens when I travel to Calgary.

More about the weekend later.

~a

No comments: