Thursday, May 04, 2006

A conglomeration of randomness

Finally got myself out for a run yesterday morning. It felt good starting out, but I ended up going 4 miles instead of the 5 that I had planned when I headed out. All I can say is that it's a good thing they have the porta-pottie set up in the park I was running through... and yes, sorry if this is TMI - but I need to remember that I need to let my body wake up a little bit more in the am before I go running, 'cause things sure get moving, and it ain't my feet if you know what I mean!

I do love the running though, it lets me get a lot of my thoughts in order. Not that I remember every thing that I think about...

So the next random thought:
Are we turning into a society that does not want to talk to each other? I can't tell you all of the places that I have seen people wearing I-pods. The last one that just made me sit back and think was at the grocery store on Monday evening. I see them on people everywhere. I realize I wear headphones when running, but I do actually make eye contact and nod at people as they go past me in the other direction. I was thinking about it more today when I was debating on weather to call some people, or to send e-mail. I told myself to get over it and pick up the phone. For gosh sakes, I used to do telemarketing, you would think I would not have anxiety about talking to people I don't know over the telephone! Do you think people are using technology to their detriment? I wonder if people are using cell phones and Ipods to avoid meeting new people, but is that not the point of life, to meet new people?

Next:
Watched the movie "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" the other night. I admit it, I cried. It also got me to thinking about how well-fitting clothes give you such a boost in your outlook in life. When you feel like you look good on the outside, you present yourself in such a different manner than when you feel like a schlump. Like today. I am wearing a pair of pants that I absolutely adore, I think they make me look great, and I feel cute, and professional today. I am also getting more done in the office than yesterday, when I was wearing jeans and a polo shirt. Not to say that I looked bad yesterday, but I definately feel better today! I am woman, hear me roar.

Another topic:
I went and got myself squished yesterday. In more accurate termonology, I got my first mammogram. It was not as bad as I expected. Sure, uncomfortable at some points, but really, not painful. They gave me a smock to wear - open in the front, and about halfway through the procedure I just took the darn thing off, it was easier than moving it around, slipping it off of one shoulder to the next. I figured they had seen everything up top already, and it was just a pain in the ass. Not that I am nervous or anything, but I would still like to find out the results.

Next:
For two whole days in a row, the scale in the morning has shown me to be under 180. Here's to 3 days in a row... hopefully I will be able to fit in a run this evening, and to not eat too much in the house... I did really well with food yesterday, I was hungry yesterday evening, and instead of opening another box of EVIL cookies, I just had a glass of soy milk. It did the trick. Tuesday was not a good evening of fooding though - Eric was out of the house, and I actually thought to myself: Good, I can eat treats tonight while sitting my ass in front ot the TV. Of course I did fill myself up with brown rice and black beans before I started on too much sugary goodness.

Next topic:
I finished the "shrug" I was knitting. Found the pattern on the Lion Brand Yarns website. I don't like it. It fits funny. Why do these things not turn out like the patterns show? Could it be that I am larger than the model they show wearing the item? The good news it that is really just a big scarf with the ends sewed into tubes that you put your arms into, so I can just unstitch the arms, and it will be a lovely scarf. I might even put a fun fringe on it. So what if it's May and I will need to wait until fall to wear it! Next, I need to think aobut if I am going to make something for my friends' wedding, and if so, what it will be. And after that, I need to get started on a baby afgahn for another friend. I love being crafty.

Anyway, this "professional-looking" woman needs to get prepared for a conference call.

Ta!
~a

1 comment:

JessiferSeabs said...

I LOVED the Travelling Pants movie. I saw it in the theater with my best friend and we were both a little more than way embarrassed about the fact that we cried a sort-of unreasonable amount. I found it to be very touching - especially the stuff with America Ferrera (or whatever her name is). I loved her in "Real Women Have Curves" as well.