Friday, January 13, 2006

SPINNING!

Okay, so I actually dragged my sorry rear out of bed this morning to go to the 5:30 (yes am) spinning class at the Y. I thought it was about time to see what everyone was talking about. Eric left for Chicago and a Muskie Fishing convention yesterday, so it was easier than normal getting out of bed...

Yes I did get a workout, but honestly, I'm not sure that it was any different than using one of the programs on the regular bike. Probably just a bit more accountability because it is a class situation, and if I actually meet some of the people in the class it might be better. I felt like I really stuck out like a sore thumb. First, the instructor put me right next to her in the front of the class. Second if you compared the body shape/size of me versus her, I felt like a buffalo. Okay, I am 5'7", and about 185 pounds. I think she was not even 5 feet tall, and it looked like she weighed less than 100 pounds. Just a bit of a difference. I felt like I did keep up with the workout pretty well - perhaps I can talk my friend into attending the class with me to keep me company.

So things that I learned:
  • bring a bottle of water. I don't usually do this, as if I drink too much, I tend to get nautious, especially in the morning, but everyone else had water.
  • wear real bike shorts. The seats are tiny. and the running shorts really do ride up and your workout should not be spent pulling the shorts down your legs.
  • even though no one else had them, I need to bring my bicycling gloves. My palms are still sore.
  • wear my heart rate monitor. I have it, I should use it. I know it makes me train at an appropriate level, but I just need to use it!

I came home last night to a nice suprise. My stepson had actually unloaded the dishwasher without me asking him to do it. Wonders do never cease. Of course he did have to point it out to me so I would acknowledge it, and to tell him he did a good job. Men and dogs, not much difference - they are constantly looking for attention and praise!

Then when I was getting ready to settle down for the evening, DSS says "can you help me hook up the DVD player?" When I asked why, he said "well, you will actually sit still and read all of the directions..." And they wonder why we make fun of them.

And that's about the sum total. Eric is gone until Sunday, and I am going to try and avoid the typical "poor me, all alone" syndrome and NOT drink an entire bottle of wine at home by myself on Saturday night. You know, I travel quite a bit for work, and spend time alone, but it's not the same when he is gone from home.

Plan for the weekend: Regional awards tonight. Tomorrow I plan to get up and exercise, then go weigh in. I will stop by Soutdale to see if that store is still open, and if they have contact lenses left. Laundry on Saturday afternoon, out to Karoke with friends on Saturday evening, and perhaps on Sunday, a run around Lake Calhoun.

ta!

~a

No comments: