Thursday, August 03, 2006

Our house has been shot

Well that statement caused my husband to panic a bit...

I was sitting in my living room on Tuesday, reading a book, minding my own business, when I noticed something was not right with our front window. Looking closer, there was this odd shaped chip on the storm window. Looking even closer, I notice a small round hole in the outside window. Evidently someone in the neighborhood thought the house windows were threatning, so they decided it needed to be shot. There are two holes in one of the front windows. At least they are only in one window (There are 5 panes in the front bay window.) And the pellets did not go through all of the panes into the house. But still...

So I called the police to make a report, and I swear the officer that came to the house looked like he was about 12. Am I becoming one of those people that thinks that people look too young? Anyway, he came and looked at the window, asked if we knew who might have done it (no) if we saw anything (no), and if we had anyone mad at us that might have done it (no). Then he told us that he could not really do anything without more information. I knew that going in, but I wanted to make the report for (a) insurance purposes and (b) in case anyone else in the neighborhood was having any problems so there is a record of it.

It is just irritating, and it will likely be pretty expensive to fix the window.

In another direction - I was staying at a hotel last night and invited my sister and nieces to come join me for a bit to swim in the pool there. They have all been staying at my parent's house, where there is a lake, but a pool is just different. There was, however a huge group of kids in the pool area for a birthday party. It was just mass chaos. One of the kids about jumped on top of my niece's head - she didn't look before she jumped, so my sister went to go tell her that she should watch what she was doing, because she could hurt someone. Then said girl's mother told my sister that she should mind her own business - "I run a daycare, I know how to watch kids!" Evidently that was not the case, as she pretty much just chatted with the other adults there, drinking a frozen (I am assuming alcoholic) drink, and nipping outside to have a cigarette. It just drives me nuts when parents don't watch what their kids are doing, or when they put infants in the hot tub. I kid you not, there were about 12 kids with floaties in the hot tub. A mom even put her kid (who was under 1 year old) in a inflatable in the hot tub. HELLOOOOOO, what the hell are you thinking?

It was just massive craziness. We wouldn't let my nieces get in the hot tub. I wouldn't get in the hot tub. With that many kids, and warm water, who knows what kind of bacterial growth was running rampant?

It was a relief to drag our two out of the pool, and to get out of the area.

And that's what I have to say on that subjet...

Later!
~a

No comments: