Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Fold or Scrunch?

I think I have found something new to obsess about:

Toilet paper.

I was watching some show, I think on Discovery Health, or some such cable program, and they were going around a couple of public bathrooms, trying to determine if the Women's or the Men's bathroom was dirtier, accorning to cultures that were taken. Fecalform bacteria if I remember correctly. They discovered that the women's had more. Attributed it to the fact that women are more likely to bring children into the bathroom. Then, they did a study to see if there was difference with the amount of Toilet paper you used, and if you got bacteria on your fingers. 3 sheets, folded, 6 sheets, folded, and 9 sheets, folded. There was a difference, of course, with the 9 sheets having the least amount (they had the volunteer take the sheets then press them on the bacteria, then press their bare fingers on a petri dish.)

Then, they had the voulnteers scrunch the paper, 3 sheets, 6 sheets, 9 sheets. And this experiment showed that scrunching the paper was more effective than folding the paper. To the point that the 3 sheets scrunched had less growing than the 9 sheets folded.

So there you go. You need to scrunch your TP.

But all still had some bacteria growing, so you still need to wash your hands after doing your business. And since it is shown that while 90% say that they wash after, other studies have shown that only 50% do, so use that paper towel to open the door!

Yeah, yeah. All interesting you say, but how am I doing?

I have journalled everthing since Friday. Drinking my water, eatin' my veggies. Woo-Hoo, Carrots!

Found a new crunchy food to eat. They talked about it at my WW meeting on Saturday, the Gerber finger foods in banana flavor. 1 cup, which is a lot of pieces, is 1 point. I even looked on-line to see about ordering Vita-Muffin mix (you add the egg whites and water) but am balking at spending $40 on six boxes of mix. I can make brannies for a lot less than that...

Now I need to get my rear moving in the exercise front. I am signed up to run a 5K on September 2nd. I should really run some before that... I would like to have a halfway decent time. It's just a little hard to get motivated for a 5k... it's only 3 miles. Am I sad or what?

And a last reminder - wash your hands!
~a

1 comment:

Kelly said...

My grandma the clean freak taught me to fold. She would be so appalled by this study if she were still alive, I'm sure of it.

I saw one of the ladies I work with who I always thought was so fastidious and tidy NOT wash her hands after using the potty the other day. It just shows, you never can tell.

And, ew!