Friday, August 25, 2006

many directions, lots of links

I have all of these things running around in my brain. Too bad they are not tied to my legs, for running that is...

So my friend sent me this link yesterday, and I spent waaaaaay too much time looking at some of the comments that people were making. The article, I found interesting, if disturbing... I was telling my DH about it last night about it, it basically says that if you are married to a career woman, you are more likely to get divorced than if you are married to a housewife... hmmmm, perhaps that would be because if you (being an educated, employed female) have a job with which you can support yourself and kids, you are less likely to stay in a miserable siutation. And of course there are more two-career marriages that are ending, because there are just more two-career marriages...

The comments on the articles kind of made me sad. Have we become the society that name-calls and bashes people they don't even know on message boards? I know it can be a fun place to go to "meet" people (Hi Jessifer and Snackie!) and to ask questions of folks. But make any controversial statement, and WHAM it turns people into comlete byotches and asshats. I have enough drama in my life to try and deal with that too. And I think some people just do it on purpose, to get a reaction out of folks, and to get themselves some attention. Just back away from the keyboard.... think for 10 minutes before firing off a snarky remark that will make your blood pressure raise and ruin your whole day because some person you don't know, fires off their uneducated, unenlightend, goddammit I'm right no matter what, of course I won't listen to reason or logic, opinion.

Moving on... I made this gazpacho the other day, and it is completely fabulous. I went out and worked at the Renaissance Festival (as a beer wench, as always) and brought it and Tabouli with me, along with some chicken sausages (there's a grill set up behind one of the pubs for the workers) and did not succumb to any of the food there. Well, except a dill pickle, but does that really count? It really was a Woo-hoo, Carrots, moment.

And in another direction. Have I talked about how much I like the Running Times magazine I have been reading? They have all sorts of cool info that I have found. My favorite at this point would be the link they gave to being able to acucrately map running routes wherever you might be traveling, or even in your own neighborhood. Have you ever wondered exactly how far your are going? Try out the fun program! You can even save them for other folks to follow, or you can look up routes that other people have already mapped. Or you can check out the area to which you are going to travel, and see what the locals do.

In last month's magazine, they had an article about some of the common mistakes that people make with their running workouts. The one I found most informative, was the mistake that people make about not refueling properly after a hard workout. You need to eat/replenish as soon as possible, and really, within two hours at the most. They said that liquids were more easily absorbed than solid food, but you do need to get some protein into the mix. So you know all of those "electrolyte balanced" sports drinks with all of the carbohydrates (sugar) to get your energy stores back correctly, and to keep your metabolism performing properly? You'd actuall be better drinking chocolate milk. Sugar, nutirents, and protein. Who'd have guessed?

Comments?
~a

2 comments:

JessiferSeabs said...

I'll tell you what... I read that article and was filled with rightous indignation -- but then I thought... wait, this article is more a slam on men than women! Because the way I see it, this article basically states that men aren't stepping up to the plate and doing their part (in the house or the workplace) and now, we women are all empowered and shiz so there is no reason to stick around.

AnnekeS said...

Exactly... Women now hold more power, or rather an equal share. Isn't it more fair that way?