Monday, June 05, 2006

Wow! You have big calves!

As said the man as I was walking in downtown St. Paul last Wednesday night. I was walking to my car after getting something to eat with my friends. We had gone to the Body Worlds exhibit at the Science Museum earlier.

I had dressed in a cute little flirty skirt (which is getting too big for me, btw - the running is paying off, if not in actual weight but size) and this guy who was carrying a clipboard for some reason or another, and talking to a woman on the street, decided to tell me that I had large legs. My response: "I'm a runner." He then tried walking after me, calling "Hey! Big calves!" I just kept walking. Like anyone would feel like that was a compliment!

I have taken several days off of running again. I plan to get up and run again tomorrow morning - and hoping that my left calf will be nice to me. The good thing is that I have a PT appointment tomorrow afternoon to work on getting back some of the flexibility in that ankle/calf.

Food again has been kind of haphazard. I don't think that I am eating to excess, but have really only been eating when I am hungry. Today was a really hungry day, but I was pretty healthy. Oatmeal for breakfast, a lean gourmet frozen dinner for lunch with extra veggies, a WW yogurt, and an apple, snack was light popcorn. Dinner I had some leftover honey mustard chicken (which I made) with rice, and steamed parsnips and carrots. For desert, I had 3 shortbread girl scout cookies.

This weekend, it really was too hot to eat much of anything - but I think I made up for several of the calories in beer. Our Jaycee chapter was pouring beer at the City Pages Beer Fesival, and then after the event finished, we all kicked back and popped several of the leftover "samples." I am glad that Eric was driving... but I would not have had as much if I had been driving.

Sunday I helped out lining up the Grand Old Day parade. Let me tell you, some people can be complete idiots. Two of us were stationed at the end of the street to head off traffic on Grand Ave, because that is where the parade was lining up, and where the parade route was. It was a one-way street, which half went to Grand Ave, and the other half was a freeway entrance. I can't tell you how many people did not follow my turn-around directions, but instead figured that they would just go the wrong way on the one-way street. We were there with a couple of police reserve officers, but since they are reserve they don't have the authority to ticket anyone. Otherwise, there would have been a lot of tickets! One of the most fun things about the day was that I was assigned one of the golf carts to use, so I got to drive up and down the alleyway, and to cart people from place to place where they needed help.

Just a week and some before my race... I hope I don't make a fool out of myself, and that the PT will help with the leg cramping.

On that note, I am going to veg for a bit and get to bed, so I can get up with the sun to go running...

~a

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Um, that's bizarre of that guy to say that. Especially since it sounds like he was one of those harass people on the streets for some worthy cause so that they'll give you money guys. We get a million of them in DC, usually college kids working on their summer vacation.

I'm sure your calves look powerful and it was too much for him to deal with.