Friday, June 16, 2006

The point of no return

You're engaged, you're committed, then things go to hell and what can you do?

That could be said about a couple of things.... I went on my run this morning, and wouldn't you know it, things just started moving... I had to run into a gas station to use the rest room. What convenience stores still require a key to access the restroom outside? Yeah, this one did. The key was attached to a rubber scraper. I just shudder to think about what had accumulated on that thing...

Well, I am going to Duluth tonight, to get my race packet, to start the race at 6:30 tomorrow morning. Yesterday, I was starting to wonder if that was actually going to happen. I got a message from my running buddy, who was going to go with me anyway, but not run, that she was not going to be able to go with me. And the place we had planned to stay was no longer available either, due to some unforseen circumstances. But I said to myself - dammit, I am going to go.

I looked on line to see if there were any "reasonable" rooms available, but yeah - not paying over $200 for a hotel room for a night. I tried the parents of my best friend from high school, but crap has taken over their household (they run a photograpy business) and it would have been difficult for them to let us stay there (we could have as an absolute last resort).

Finally, I talked to my parents, and my dad made a call to a former co-worker of his that still lives in Superior who will graciously be putting us up for the evening. Eric will be going with me to cheer me on. I still would have gone by myself, but this is much better. You know, after you run 13 miles, you really want someone you actually KNOW to congratulate you.

Wish me luck. Think about me at 6:30 CDT as I am starting out!

~a

1 comment:

JessiferSeabs said...

EEEYeah! Good luck!

And I agree about Eric - the best part about crossing the finish line of my 5K was having Chris there to be proud of me. :-)