Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Race tonight!

I signed up to run a 1-mile race tonight. It's the kickoff of the Twin Cities marathon. Everyone who registers tonight is guaranteed entry into the marathon. I have been considering putting in an application. And then I wonder where the hole in my head came from... I actually think I could do it, if I made the committment to do the training, with no excuses. But I think at this point, I (as I tell people when they ask me if I am planning on running a marathon) don't really want to spend the time training for a marathon.

That being said, perhaps next year. And oh, my goodness, I actually put that in writing. But seriously, how cool would that be, to say that you have run a marathon?

And I am feeling it again - I need to tell people my accomplishments, so they will look at me as something other than an overweight woman. I am a runner. A larger runner, but a runner nonetheless.

I overdid the drinking and eating this weekend. Went to WI on Saturday. I was up 0.8. And really the Chinese food I had the night before had nothing to do with that, right??? I even ran 5 miles before the meeting, AND dried my hair after I showered. I was still up. Why am I obsessed with the number on the scale? My clothes are getting looser... but I still have 20+ to lose before I can go for free again.

After that, it was off to Mankato, for a Jaycee bar hop. I was figuring I would not drink at every bar, but you know what happens with the best of intentions... it was, however, a lot of fun, and a lot of cute guys stopped to talk and flirt. Always makes me feel good! And, I refrained from calling my husband at 11:30 pm (he had to work at 5am) and settled for sending him a text message.

Sunday was such a beautiful day, that a friend and I went for a walk around Lake of the Isles. We figured it would not be as crowded as Calhoun. No running for her, she is just getting back into the walking stage after her surgery. She had a gastric bypass a couple of years ago, and then went in for some cosmetic surgery to get rid of all of the loose skin. I know it is nothing I would do myself, the bypass, but she is probably the best success I have seen with the surgery. She did it as something that would force her into a healthier lifestyle, not as an easy way out. I have another couple of friends who have had the surgery, and have not been as successful, because they keep "cheating" on their diets, and have not incorporated exercise into their lives. The friend I went walking with (3 miles, two weeks after her surgery) is hoping to run some 5K's with me again this summer.

And I know, initally, I wanted to lose weight so I could exercise more/feel better. Appearance was actually secondary. Perhaps I should think about that more. I am sitting here pondering that concept at this moment. It's actually kind of a revelation for me, sitting here, wishing I looked better. I just need to feel better. End of story. Wow.

On that note, I need to figure out what sampling equipment I have here, and what needs to be sent in to be calibrated (pretty much all of it).

Make it great! And if you are in Downtown Minneapolis tonight, think about cheering on the runners (including me!) as we go from Loring Park, down Nicollet to Peavy Plaza.

~a

No comments: