Sunday, July 01, 2007

Back in the country

Well, I got back on Friday, but that's neither here nor there...

It was suprisingly an okay week in Calgary. Usually, I get pissed off at the meetings, then I go out at night and get food that is bad for me, and I drink too much.

And yeah, I did some of that, but not that much - even at the dinner that they had for our group where the drinks were flowing freely... I had water to start, and only about 3 glasses of wine.

I stuck to my plan, and biked 10.5 miles on Tuesday, and 11.5 on Wednesday. Thursday, I just had no motivation, so I took the day off (but we did log a couple of miles walking after our meetings that evening) and Friday I got my rear out of bed and swam laps before I packed and met two of my co-workers to share a cab to the airport. Yep, we were planning on meeting in the lobby at 7:30 am. I managed to get up, swim for half an hour, sit in the jacuzzi for about 10 min, shower, pack, get ready, check out, and was in the lobby at 7am. Yikes.

This weekend was pretty good, actually. I met my running group on Saturday morning, and ran about 8 miles. There were points where my hip started screaming at me, but I stopped, and stretched, and worked on my running style to see what worked best, and I finished the distance. I also talked to the coach a bit about what I was doing for training, etc., and she seemed to think that I was taking the right approach. I am planning on doing more biking and swimming this week for exercise, and hopefully getting in to see the doctor. Although I do take it as a promising sign that even though I am somewhat sore and moving gingerly, my knee really does not bother me.

Also on Saturday, I met one of my friends, and we sat on the patio of a local establishment enjoying the weather, each other's company (we really needed to catch up), and some half-price tap beers. Oh, and she enjoyed the cigar I brought back from Canada... since you can actually purchase Cuban cig ars there.

Today, Eric and I went to a friend's house where he pruned a couple of trees for her. I sat and watched. And after we got home, I have managed to balance the checkbooks (sitting outside on the patio with a glass if iced tea), cement patch the fountain (I want to get it running this week), and weeded and watered the flower beds. Eric has the whole week off of work, and I have Wed, Thurs, and Friday off. He's planning on heading north for some fishing, provided he gets enough work done on the boat that needs to get sold...

That's about it. I'm looking forward to a nice long bike ride tomorrow!

~a

No comments: