Sunday, July 22, 2007

Undiscovered Country

Friday, I had another appointment with the physical therapist. More ultrasound therapy on the hip and the knee. I have been able to do some really good stretches, and the hip is starting to feel more normal. And I think the taping technique I have been using on the knee is working too, so I will definately continue to do that.

Yesterday, my training schedule said 18 miles. I thought that was a little to daunting for me. So I headed out with 15 miles in mind - my plan was to run to Phalen, around twice, back near home, then run my 5-mile loop around Beaver Lake. And I did it. I walked about 4 times during the route, to eat some Sport Beans, and drink water. It took me 2 hours and 51 minutes. As I was hitting the point that was 2 miles from my house (so 13 miles into the run, about) I looked at my time: 2:28:00 or so. The furthest I have run has been my half-marathons (13.1 miles) and I finished last year in 2:29:00 or so.

Yesterday, I ran further than I have ever run before. 15 miles. I kept wanting to tell the people that were on the path exactly how far I had run that day.

And I admit it, I got kind of teary and emotional at the end of the run. I did it. Me. With the knee and hip pains that just were not so bad yesterday on the run.

When I was warming down, and stretching, my cell phone rang. My parents caled to tell me that my BIL had woken up that morning. It's the first time he has been awake since the accident on the 11th.

After bathing, and getting cooler etc. together, I headed up to my parent's house to deal with their garden, which needed some harvesting, since they have been gone to be with my sister and BIL. So I also got in about 2 hours of gardening yesterday... I picked raspberries, blueberries, cucumbers, beans, beets, lettuce, zucchini and tomatos. I just feel kind of bad that I will be gone 3 nights this week, so I won't be able to enjoy it all!

Today will be a day of some laundry, packing, and hopefully some relaxation! My knee is not painful, for the most part, but if I move wrong, it starts to tell me. Best to take it easy today.

ta!
~a

1 comment:

JessiferSeabs said...

18 miles already?!?! Holy cats, what training program are you following? My 18-miler isn't until September 1st!