Friday, July 27, 2007

A week of crap...

Okay, it's official.

I am tired of traveling.

At work, it has been pretty much decided that I need to be out of the office (and out on the property) Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. So I spent Monday afternoon and evening traveling to Minot, ND where I spent three nights.

The North Dakota State Fair was going on that week too, so it was a bit difficult to get a hotel room. I ended up in an okay place - it had no exercise room, but had a pool. I had also brought my bicycle along with me.

Well, Monday, I didn't exercise, since I got into Minot at about 9:45 pm. Road glazed and tired, and needing to meet up with the work crew at 6:30am, at a location 45 miles from where I was staying...

Tuesday, it was hot. And I mean hot. It hit 104 degrees in Minot. Being out with the work crew wiped me out but good. I fell asleep in my hotel room that afternoon, but knew I needed to do some exercise, so after I woke up, I headed for the pool. I enjoy swimming laps, but the pool was kind of cloudy, and it was hard to see where the end wall was to make my turns - I ended up jammimg my fingers into the wall a couple of times. Then there were the two girls who I think were making a game of seeing how close they could get to me, without having me run into them. Grrrrrrr. All I wanted was one stinkin' side of the pool. Plenty of other space, folks. I spent a couple of hours at the mall there, to wander a bit, to get out of my cracker-jack box of a room. The only good news was that the size 12 pants were fitting me...

Wednesday, it was hot. Not as hot as the day before, but still not that great. I had stopped at the grocery store on Tuesday (had a fridge in the room!) and had packed some drinks, a couple of whole wheat wraps with turkey and cheese, and some 100-calorie packs in a cooler for the day. We were going out on the rail, and they told me we would stop somewhere for lunch so I didn't need to bring the cooler. I should know better. At 2pm, when we finally got off the tracks, we stopped at a convenience store.... After getting back to the hotel, I went to swim laps again. ( I wanted to get out on my bicycle, but it was raining.) This time, swimming laps, it was some guy who kept getting in my way - he was not paying attention, and another girl was there, deciding she would try and swim under me to touch the wall underwater. Um, the pool, at it's deepest was 5 feet. I gave up after half an hour.

Thursday, out again on the rail. And talking with folks, etc. By the time I got on the road to drive home, it was after 1pm. I was tired after three nights in a little hotel room, where I kept waking up because the A/C kept cycling on and off. So what did I do to keep myslef amused and awake? Of course... I munched. After a stop in Fargo for a break at the DQ for dinner, I got home around 10:15.

I leave with the best of intentions, but they never seem to work out. I just want to be able to spend a week at home without feeling guilty.

And with all the driving, and static positions I was in... my knee has been bothering me all week. Fabulous.

Another thing that has been bothering me is I have these odd boil/blister itchy spots on the toes of my left foot. I think they might be stress related, or related to wearing socks and work boots all day, but they are not getting better. In fact, it started on one toe, and now four are affected.

I think I need a new lifestyle.
~a

No comments: