Monday, May 07, 2007

An interesting weekend

I'm glad that I decided to take Friday off of running, I think my body needed the rest!

Instead, my hubby and I went out to a Jaycees happy hour, and had some good food and fun drinks. And then it was home and in bed by 10:30pm. Yep, in case you were wondering, we are "old"!

Eric had a really neat event that he was volunteering at at 7am Saturday morning - something they call the "Vet's Home Opener" where they bring a trout pond, stocked with trout to the Veteran's home, and let them fish, then their catch is prepared as shore lunch. They get to invite their grandkids to the event, and have a grand old time fishing. I guess this event is something that they talk about all year, and something that they anticipate greatly. I just think it's a heck of a nice event.

Also, Saturday morning, I got up and met my running group for a run. I had 7 miles on my schedule, but ended up doing about 8 - it was an out and back route, and I got distracted by the conversation we were having on the run... but it was comfortable running for most of the way, even if we were doing somewhere around 10:30 miles

I came back home to a message on the machine from Eric's mother - his stepfather passed away somethime on Friday night or Saturday morning. He had been diagnosed with Stomach/Liver/Pancreatic cancer about three weeks ago, and they estimated he had about 4-6 months left to live. I suspect he just gave up. He was 81, and an Air Force veteran. If you are interested, this is the Obituary.

Eric ended up going out to a local place with a group of people that were working the event with him, and at about 3:00 when I called him to see what was up, he said he had just ordered food and a root beer, as he needed to sober up before heading home... evidently someone had paid for the first $150 of their bar bill...

So I headed out without him, to meet some of my friends to eat Mexican food at a place on their patio, and to have a DosEquis. Then back to my friend's house to chit chat... I ended up getting home around 10:45, to my husband laying on the bed, across the pillows at the top of the bed, sound asleep. I had to wake him up to move - I told him he had to move, or I was not going to sleep with him! It just made me laugh!

Sunday, I met a friend of mine to go for a hike with our 30+ pound packs, to get in some miles with the weight we will be carrying on Isle Royale. We actually went the same place I had gone running the day before, since I thought it was a pretty decent location. It was sure windy though - we ended up doing about 6 miles, but we were getting really concerned on the way back, with the wind gusting like it was... wondering if some of the trees there were getting ready to topple. I guess they measured some gusts at the airport (which we were quite close to there ) at 53 miles per hour.

And coming back to our vehicles... it appears that some bastard backed into my car, and dented the driver side rear wheel well. And didn't have the curtosy to leave a note or anything. My pretty red Jetta is now damaged. It really sucks. Well, probably not as much as Jessica's experience, but I don't know who did it, I have to be mad at an unnamed ahole.

So a mix of good and bad.

Par for the course, right?
~a

No comments: