Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Bereavement leave

Is is wrong that I asked for two days off of work for my step-father-in-law's funeral and internment?

Yesterday with the visitation and funeral, I really had to take the day off. Today, the internement is at 1pm. But I took the day off.

The funeral yesterday was odd, to say the least. Not that the ceremony was anything unusual, but just the assortment of people, Frank's (SFIL) kids, my Mother-in-law and her relatives. I guess I did not know him very well, and he was Eric's second stepfather - SFIL and MIL have been married about 9 years. But, as things go, of course my MIL was sitting in the front row. So we sat with her - I felt like I was userping his kids... why was I in the front, when his children and grandchildren and great grandchildren were sitting behind me.

And I learned things about my SFIL - I always thought he really was kind of boring, he liked to talk to you and not say much, but he was very active in a number of historical groups, and within the community when his kids were growing up. If I had known about that, perhaps I would have been more interested in talking to him when we went to visit them. But, I guess you just get cranky, and tired of telling the same stories when you get older.

I have been taking advantage of my free time the last two days to get in some running. Yesterday's run was great. I ran 5 miles in just over 50 minutes.

Today's run was another story. I think I ate too many bars at the funeral lunch, 'cause I was just not feeling it today. 6 miles today took me about an hour and 10 minutes. I will say I walked a fair portion of it.

Tomorrow it is back to work. I most likely will head out tonight, to make meetings that are tomorrow morning.

Yep, back to real life.
~a

No comments: