Friday, March 02, 2007

Admitting you have a problem

Hi. My name is Anneke, and it appears that I have a problem with food. As in, I like it way too much. I think I'm obsessed.

I have all sorts of good intentions, then I throw them out the window, so to speak. I told myself I would continue to exercise more consistantly - but it is really hellish to get up and onto the NordicTrack at 5:30am, especially when the house is cold, and all I seem to want to do is to crawl back into my warm bed and pull the flannel sheets over my head. And I don't seem to be able to consistantly get my rear in gear in the evenings, either. Seems like I get home from work, and my first priority is food. Making supper, or eating a snack. How do I make my first priority ME?

Who put me in this handbasket, and how can I get out?

And I was seriously hating myself for my eating habits yesterday - I thought my vendor was going to take me out to lunch, so I did not pack anything for lunch. But, we are in Minnesota, and in the midst of a rather large snowstorm. Lunch plans were cancelled. I could have gone and picked up some soup and sushi, but I had some figs in my office (and had eaten a large bowl of Wheaties for breakfast) and figured I would just go home early... then there were the potato chips I had to eat. Then there was the piece of cake from the lunchroom. Then another piece of cake... Yep, I thought one was just not enough. Then I came home, and shoveled snow. Decided it was okay to have something else, since I had "exercised" so last nights food consisted of: pretzels and pesto dip, Chicken Quesedilla Pizza Rolls, a banana with peanut butter, some light microwave kettle corn, and um, the three glasses of wine to wash it all down.

I need help. I know that. I just don't know what I want to do. I honestly don't want to go back to WW - the meeting time I can make consistantly is Saturday am, and I want to continue with the running group. Why am I obsessed with food? If I figure that out, things just might get better...

yargh.

thanks for listening
~a

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so wish that I could tell you the way out, but I am stuck there myself. For me, it is easier because if I gain too much weight, I have a medical condition that kicks into high gear...so I have to stop myself at some point.

I think that finding out what is inside is more important. Have you thought about therapy or maybe a group?

JessiferSeabs said...

Just one suggestion -- can you keep a bunch of apples and granola bars in your car so that you can have a snack while driving home, and then get right on the treadmill?

I'm sure that if you explain to Erik that dinner is going to be a bit later than usual as you try to get your groove back, he'll be supportive of that (or maybe he'll make dinner!)

Another suggestion -- if you can eliminate as many "barriers to entry" as possible, you're more likely to get on that nordic track right away. Can you change into your workout clothes at the office, before you leave, so that when you get home you don't get caught up in the distractions (put away clothes, tidy up, blah blah). I don't put on the workout clothes at the office (well, technically I do since I work at home), but I know for example that if I put them on BEFORE my conference call, I'm much more likely to get right on the 'mill afterwards than if I had to fuck around and chnage first.