Friday, March 23, 2007

Friday, already?

It’s definitely been a week.

I had to go to Chicago this week for work. Flew in on Tuesday morning, got to the yard office, and the first road block was getting in the door…

I buzz to get in. Over the intercom:
“May I help you?”
“It’s Anneke”
“What’s your name?”
“Anneke”
“Can you tell me your name?”
“My name is Anneke S…, I’m the safety advisor, I’m here for the safety walkabout!”

It was someone new, who didn’t know me. She thought I was asking for a key, and wanted to know my name…

So as I get in the door, one of my co-workers from Calgary is standing there, in front of the desk, just laughing.

But, the meetings went well, and I think we got accomplished what needed to get done.

I even got to speak to my boss’s boss (and we get on very well) about some frustrations I have been feeling lately, and we worked out some issues. Then I moved on to drinking wine. The four of us from our department sat in the lounge, drinking, and eating a bit of dinner after the drinking. And we all crashed and slept soundly that night. A good thing, since we were meeting to go back to the rail yard at 6:15am.

I even got in a 4-mile run on the hotel’s treadmill on Tuesday afternoon, since we were done earlier than planned.

Wednesday was some airport/airplane hell though… lines of thunderstorms in the Chicago area prevented all of the planes from leaving, just as we were taxiing out to the runway. So we sat. And I managed to finish my book before we were allowed to leave, so then I had nothing to do… we were supposed to get in around 6pm, and ended up touching down at 8:05. So much for getting stuff done at home! At least I had packed snacks with me so I was not completely ravenous when I got home… but I was not able to exercise because there was absolutely no time.

Yesterday I did go out after work. 4 miles. 42 minutes or so. Eric asked me if it was a good run. And you know, it was neither good nor bad. Which I don’t know what that means. I got out there, it wasn’t terrible, but that “runner’s high” never kicked in. I guess you can’t win them all. I am trying to loosely follow a half marathon training program – the friend who ran the 8K with me last Sunday really wants me to do a race with her in June. A week after I get back from Isle Royale – but heck, it’s a goal that will also help me get in shape for all the hiking!

And today. I fly out to Florida this evening to visit my parents for a week. I am looking forward to the sun and relaxation. I just hope the weather is good for flying!

On the weightloss front, I was very pleased with the scale this morning… it’s still going in the right direction. I’m down about 10 pounds from my “yikes” moment several weeks ago. I’m tracking points, and exercising. My goodness… is that what it takes???

And I am feeling quite cute today, in a jean jacket/blazer that is not nearly as snug as it was two weeks ago.

Time to get things wrapped up at work before leaving for a week.

ta!
~a

No comments: