Friday, January 05, 2007

Domesticity

I have been a homebody lately.

And I like it....

It has been a while, hasn't it?

I took last Friday off of work, and cleaned my house. Washed the bathrom rugs, picked up, cleaned bathrooms, swept, and mopped the hardwood, the kitchen and the bathrooms, vacuumed the living room, dining room, and stairs, dusted the bedrooms, and put together a very lovely chicken pesto lasagna.

We had 19 people to the house on Friday evening. My dad's side of the family. We decided, again that it was the perfect house to hold the event. My living room will seat 15 comfortably, and we kept telling the kids to go downstairs to yell and run about. People were also impressed at my culinary abilities, again. Last year, I made a whole ham (bone-in). This year we had a traditional lasagna with italian sausage, a winter squash lasagna, and the afore-mentioned chicken pesto lasagna. My cousin brought a salad. With that and a loaf of french bread, we were all set.

Saturday, I started working on my dress. That continued into Sunday. And then Monday. It turned out well, I think. The patern said it was "easy" but I kept mis-reading the instructions, and of course, re-doing, and re-doing things I did wrong. I guess this is what happens when you don't do this sort of thing all the time. And there were a lot of things that required a lot of time to do... there is actually quite a lot of hand stitching on the dress.

Interdispersed along there were some other activities: we went to a Martini party on Saturday night. I really was not wanting to get dressed and go out, after a relaxed, yet productive, day at home. Sunday, we went to yet another church to see if we can find a new church home in our neighborhood. I liked this on the best of the ones we have been to, but it still did not give me that feeling that I "belonged" there, so there are a couple more to visit yet. Sunday night (New Year's Eve) we actually had invitations to 5 different places - we stayed home, watched a movie, and shared a bottle of Champagne. We kissed at midnight, then pretty much went to sleep. At least we stayed up until midnight. Sometimes I just feel old.

Monday was more working on the dress and laundry. I don't know if I have ever been all caught up on my laundry... anyone else feel that way?

Tuesday evening, instead of going and fighting for a machine at the Y, I decided to stay home, catch up on some e-mails, etc at home (was in work meetings all day), and watch a little TV.

Wednesday evening, I read a book.

Last night, I managed to finish a cross stich that I have been working on for years. Literally. I bought the pattern probably in 1997. Oh, and there was more laundry done.

I have been kind of enjoying this low-key kind of stuff. Although, the travel starts again next week. And the week after. But this year, I am going to make time for me. I just feel better about it.

And the eating plan continues. I am just tired of counting and watching and feeling guilty, and denying myslef someting when I really want it. I think it is working okay - the scale seems to just be in the same place. I have not been exercising lots lately, but part of that is because I don't want to go to the insanity of the health club this close after New Year's.

My parents are taking us out to dinner tonight. I made a reservation at PF Chang's, and I am pretty excited to go. I have not been there in a couple of years, and I adore their food. They are going to stay overnight, and Mom is going to help me hem my dress. On an interesting note, I was going through my shoes last night, and found that I already have a pair that match my dress perfectly. SCORE! Of course there goes my excuse of going shoe shopping with mom!

So, my goals for the year:
  1. Make my bed every morning - this has been done, I feel so much better when I can crawl into a bed at night that has been made.
  2. Eat healthier, don't stuff myself silly at any time, but no deprivation or starvation - eat when I am hungry, stop when I am satisfied.
  3. Run a marathon.

On that note...

Make it great!

~a

1 comment:

Voix said...

Sounds lovely. Take care of that self -- travel is very draining, and home time feels fantastic afterwards.