Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Social Experiment

Okay, so I wrote this post a couple of days ago, then blogger crapped out on me... then the hotel I was in had a crappy wireless connection... without further ado:

I went over to a friend's house on Friday for a cribbage re-match.

She made a fabulous dinner - Holy Basil chicken, I believe it was, we shared a bottle of wine, and chit chatted and cought up while playing cards. She was telling me about something she had done as a "social experiment"... she set up a hotmail account that was not tied to her, and put an add onto a free personal ad website, that was funny, and witty, and basically her saying that she was willing to get friendly "wink, wink, nudge, nudge". In 24 hours, she had over 60 e-mails responding to her ad.

Some people are complete idiots, we decided - like the man who answered the ad from his work e-mail. She sent him back a note, telling him he could get fired for that sort of thing, and ended with the tag line "Thanks for playing!" It was really funny reading through all of the responses - she specifically stated "nobody married" yet there were about 15 responses from married men - I think that was my favorite response... she told him that was an "express ticket to hell, kind of like shooting the pope..." It might have been part of the booze talking, but we just laughed until it hurt. All of the messages she sent ended in "Thanks for playing!"

So, this week I am traveling. I got to spend a major portion of the day driving from Minneapolis to Chicago. I have an 8am meeting tomorrow here, so here I am. The thing about it, since I won't have things that are happening at home this week, I might actually get up and exercise and post on my blog!

There have been a couple of things I have been planning to write about, so there might be a couple of extra posts!

Moving back in time, I wanted to talk about our Jaycees Gala. The dress I made turned out very well. I got lots of compliments on it. I had one friend tell me that she wanted me to make a dress for her next year, and had another friend ask me if I would help her with alterations on her wedding dress... I love being crafty.

And last week at work was pretty insane - I swear I put in about 60 hours. Lots of meetings, so a lot of time was spent catching up on e-mails and phone calls after "work" hours. And this week will be interesting, as I will be gone all week (well until Thursday) and we are having our "Thank God the Holidays are Over" Party. If last year was any indication, I am expecting we will have many, many people there. So I did a bunch of prep work, food, planning, etc. this weekend, so all I will have to do is clean the house on Friday. Eric has promised to clean up the basement in preparation for the party. If he doesn't I am not going to stress about it. Life will go on if his workshop is cluttered!

Anyhoo, I'm gonna try and catch some sleep, and get up early to run on the treadmill.

ta!
~a

No comments: