Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Hippy, Hippy shake

Don't you love the human body?

I think I have it figured out. I need to stretch my left hip lots more than I have been. I got up at 5am this morning to go for a run. Knee band in place, was feeling pretty good for pretty much all of my 3 miles (in 31 minutes!). After I was done, and walking it out, with the knee giving me twinges, I started pressing on the muscle in my hip. And lo and behold... if I got the right pressure point, the pain in my knee went away.

I think I might have to go find a masseuse.

But I also stretched a bit, and that muscle is kinda sore. Hopefully if I keep doing some good deep stretches it will help!

Last night was spent getting new anti-virus on the computer. We were having connectivity problems... couldn't get the web up, even though it said there was a connection. After 15 minues on the phone with the customer service rep, up and down the stairs to unplug and reconnect the modem (yes I had done that before, but they made me do it again) we discovered it was the anti-virus software, so I updated it to the newest version, and things work again! Woo hoo.

Tonight, I get to do "security" at our Shoreham yard in NorthEast Minnepolis. The Norteast parade is lining up in our rail yard, and I will be driving around in my company vehicle to make sure that people are behaving, and not doing things that they should not be doing. All I have to say is that there better not be any kids on unicycles running through the yard. Those kids (and parents that cannot control those kids) are out of control. Last year I saw a couple of kids on the unicycles ducking in and out of the intermodal trailers that were parked there, with truck traffic going in and out of the yard. When the adults in the group were told to control their kids, and that we have had problems and that they had been warned about this - they played dumb. Helloooooo - you are jepardizing the whole parade by your actions! (How do I really feel?)

Anyhoo - off to hit the shower!

~a

2 comments:

Voix said...

I highly recommend shiatsu massage for those deep hip and lower back pressure point problems. Inexpensive massages at the Center Point school in Dinkytown.

JessiferSeabs said...

I think this actually means that you do not have Runner's Knee, but you have IT Band Syndrome (Iliotobial band syndrome). Those are the two most common runner's injuries, and IT band usually presents itself either in the knee or the hip.

Here, this is what it says in my book:

"the IT band is a large tendon that stretches from the outside of your knee deep inside you rbutt. The pain is almost always a fairly specific point a few inches below the bend in your leg. the pain can be dull most of th etime and become acute when you start to walk or run. IT band syndrome is common among all runners but even mroe common among women. The angle between a woman's hip and knee (Called the Q angle), is greater than it is for men. The result is that the IT band tends to get stretched tighter across the outside of the knee joint in women than it does in men."

It goes on to say taht it gradually worsens over time, unless you cure it, and the only cure is rest. good times. I would assume that stretching frequently and deeply will help. I would try for a sports massage where you can have them stretch you... Jewel Spa in Block E downtown has a FANTASTIC masseuse named Sarah. I had her stretch me, and afterwards I felt like I'd worked out!

Heal!
~jessc