Monday, November 14, 2005

Monday, Monday

What is it about the weekend that makes me throw everything out the window? Saturday was a complete mess, eating-wise. I was at a training all day, and the downfall there, besides the buffet lunch, was the afternoon break - I adore the white chocolate macadamia nut cookies! Although, I did not take three deserts like one woman I saw, but rather took some grapes and strawberries along with the cookie. I guess you can say that was a success! Of course we went to a party that evening, and I spent too much time standing around the food table, drinking wine.

Eric and I went to Figlio for happy hour on Friday, then to see the Christmas display at Marshall Fields. I am glad we went before Thanksgiving, because I can just see that it will be crazy with people closer to Christmas. We took the elevator up, and the escalator down, and stopped to shop a bit at the furniture area on the way down. I would now like new bedroom furniture, now that we have painted the bedroom. I want to have stuff that all matches, rather than the 4 distinctly different styles we have right now. Eric was having a bit of sticker shock with the pieces, but hey, you get what you pay for. The discussion progressed into:

E: Do we really want to spend that much money on furniture?
Me: you know honey, I am not saying that we need to get anything right now, but I wanted to show you more of what I like, to see what you like... And I don't think it is unreasonable to spend 5-6K on a nice set of furniture. How much is the boat that you want to buy?
E: Okay honey, you can get whatever you want!
(The boat he is wanting is probably going to cost somewhere around $35-40K)

Sunday I went bowling for the first time this year - I signed up for a league, but have been unable to make the first two dates. For me, I think I actually did pretty well, but then my handicap is going to be shot to hell - perhaps something just unreachable. I bowled an 89, a 119, and a 122. I usually do the best on the second game, so I was pleased with that.

After bowling, I came home and spent about 3 hours in the kitchen. I made a turkey with mashed potatos and gravey for dinner, along with a salad of romaine and arugula, canned green beans for Eric and Curt (stepson), and steamed brussel sprouts for me. I also washed and dried the herbs I got in my farm share - thyme, oregano, and sage. Add to that cleaning up the kitchen, hand-washing all sorts of bottles (to be used for the home brewed beer I am making) cleaning up all of the crap on the dining room table, and set a lovely table for the three of us. It is an unusual thing to have all of us together for dinner, as Curt is 20 and pretty much always out doing his own thing.

Speaking of Curt, I am never going to let him talk me into swapping vehicles with him again! I know it sound snobbish, but I was completely embarassed to be seen driving his pick-up truck. It's loud, rusty, ripped upholstery, tires thumping (need to be replaced) and quite finiky. I really, really would much rather drive my 2005 VW Jetta rather than his 1994 Dodge Dakota. Really, I am not poor, so why would I want to drive something like that?

This week, I am vowing to stay within my points (24 + whatever AP's I earn), drink all of my water, and to get to my weigh-in on Saturday. I did not go this week 'cause I had to be at the training at 7:45 to register for an 8am start. (Dragging my rear out of bed to make it to a 6:30 meeting that is about 1/2 hour away from home was not high on my priority list!) I will also exercise! The current plan for the evening is to get on the bike at the health club so I can combine that with reading my book club book we will be discussing on Wednesday. I usually do a lot of reading on Sundays, but I managed to fall asleep on the couch yesterday morning when I was trying to read.

yep, that's about all I have time to write...

-a

No comments: