Thursday, July 31, 2008

Riding the runner's high

That's where I was at 5:30am on Wednesday morning.

Tuesday was not the best. I figured out that pretty much everyone (but one) was not going to be able to make book club that evening. I guess these things happen for a reason... it was actually not that bad of a thing, since I had really done nothing to prepare (other than cleaning, which really needed to be done anyway) but it was still kind of depressing. I came home after work and did a little bit of pouting, in my own way (which consisted of drinking a couple of beers at 3 in the afternoon.)

After that, I got off my duff, and made a nice dinner for Eric and I, then I started packing for my trip to Alexandria, (MN) for meetings and team building golf.

And I hated the way that everything I put on made me look.

I have been slacking in the food department lately. I had been writing things down, and trying to be conscious of what I was eating... and the scale went down a couple of pounds, but then I just started to not care again.

I now care again. But DAMN! I hate watching what I eat.

So I got up at 4:45 on Wednesday, and ran 4 miles. And at the end, when the endorphins were kicking in, I pushed it, and rode my runner's high as long as I could. It felt great. I shall be repeating it tomorrow morning.

(I didn't go out this morning, because after a 4 mile run, a 2.5 hour drive, a meeting, a round of golf, 4 light beers, a dinner in the park, and finally being able to check into my hotel room around 8:30pm, I couldn't see my way to drag my arse out of bed. I know. Excuses will get you no where.)

On another note - I got something interesting in the mail today. I couldn't figure out who was sending me a package that felt like a catalog... so I open it up, and there is a memory card from a funeral. The gentleman we bought our house from (well, actually his kids moved him out and sold the house) passed away on June 15th. There was also a catalog and a note in the package. It read:

Dear Anneke
A while ago you kindly sent an important letter on to my father. He was happy to receive it as this information had somehow been misplaced. He had asked me to send you some steaks as a thank-you.
Sadly, Dad was in poor health this year and passed away on Father's Day. I am eclosing a gift certificate so you can make your own choices... and maybe think of Dad when you are out grilling on the patio he built.
Thank you for your kind actions.

And enclosed in the note was a gift certificate for $200.

All this for doing something I thought was no big deal, and something that was what should have been done. I forwarded on information on a life insurance policy. I guess it just goes to show you, what goes around, comes around.

On that note, it's off to bed, so I can get up and get another high in the morning!
~a

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that note almost made me cry! --Karma loves you!!