Friday, September 14, 2007

Knee news

Well, there is nothing REALLY wrong.

It's kind of an irritation or something similar with the meniscus of my knee.

It's not torn, but with all of the pounding associating with the running I have been doing, the ortho said it was getting "spongy" and - the best description I can say is - wrinkled, and that is what is causing the pain. It is not torn. There is a surgery that can remove the portion of the cushioning (meniscus) which may alleviate the pain, if I was a "dedicated marathoner" but as I am just hoping to run one.... I don't want to have to go through the surgery.

The doctor said the marathon this fall is out - I should try and see if it heals by not running for anywhere from 6 weeks to 3 months. He said that pretty much trying to run Grandma's in the spring is out, but I might be able to train up for the marathon next year.

I got a elecronic newsletter from the TC marathon today, and at the end of it is a picture of the finisher's medal. I looked at it, and teared up, knowing I will not be getting mine in October.

It sucks.

But, I need to accept it and move on. Better to be able to walk for the rest of my life, and to try again next year. It's not like I have not accomplished anything this year - have run further in one day than ever before. I just need to be smart, and not try to over do it.

And I need to drop some weight, so I don't have that much more on my knees.

So that's the plan. Walk, bike, lose weight, and aim for a marathon in a year.

~a

1 comment:

JessiferSeabs said...

I am so sorry, Anneke. Last week when I thought I wasn't going to be able to run, I felt the same way... Last year on her 20 miler, my friend Erin got a stress fracture in her foot, and she had alllll the same emotions -- she was also a thin / normal woman who said the same thing "I just need to lose about 15-20 lbs more before I try to do this." And really, I should lose about another 20-30 before trying to do this again.

I'm still hving some pretty intense pain in my feet, but my doc HAS cleared me to go ahead. I'm so sore today after the 20 miler that I can't even imagine what the full 26 will feel like. Thank God it's almost over...

Hugs to you. I know how much you wanted to do this... but just think, you can do it next year when you are fully healed, and if you DO drop a little bit of weight, you'll be an even better, happier, more comfortable runner.