Friday, February 24, 2006

Grandma's Half Marathon

I got the entry form in the mail yesterday.

Wish me luck, I filled it out and put it in the mail yesterday with my check. It's a lottery draw - they will be drawing 1000 entries today, 2000 entries on March 1st, and 1500 on March 6th. Corky and I ran this last year, and I would really like to finish in under 2 hours this year. It really gets me motivated to run - I know I can't just go out and do this race without much preparation, like I would with a 5K. Kind of scary - I know I can run 3 miles without a problem. Just goes to show you how far I have come. Of course I have gotten away from things and now need to find my way back.

Book club on Wednesday went well. We read the book Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt by Anne Rice. It was actually kind of an interesting book, and when you got into it, a fast read. Written from the perspective of a 7-year old's (Jesus) point of view. I have always found the history surrounding the bible and biblical times fascinating. I think one of the most interesting sermons I ever heard was about what it meant that when Joseph found out that Mary was pregnant, if he should "divorce her quietly". Since they were contracted already into marriage, although not yet married, in order to separate, they would have needed to break the contract legally, and the only word we have in English that descirbes this dissolution is "divorce" that is what appears in the translations.

Part of the book club is that the person hosting (this time, me) also cooks the meal. This was the menu:
Apps:
assorted crackers with hummus and Alouette
Shrimp with coctail sauce
Wasabi Peas

Main Meal:
Naan
Curried Mushrooms
Curried Green Lentils
Curried Vegetables
Fish baked in foil with herbs and Sea Salt

Desert:
Coconut Layer Cake
Cardimum Nut Ice cream

Yep, got into my Indian cookbook again. I love the stuff, but can never make it for just Eric and I because he will not eat it. All of the girls liked the meal, and the best part is I have leftovers for lunch for a couple of days. MMMMM the lentils are awesome, and since I made all of the food, I know it is pretty healthy.

Last night, I pretty much did nothing. Read a fluff book for an hour and a half with a glass of wine, then went to the bedroom to watch the ice skating. Totally ignored the dishes that were in the kitchen, there were too many onWednesday to fit into the dishwasher in one load, totally ignored that I have mounds of laundry (have not done any for about 2 1/2 weeks) to address. I instead, reclined on my NEW bed, and watched the Olympics. Good times. It was too bad about all of the falls for the ice skaters. But, I definately would not have been able to do as well. It completely amazes me what some peope can do!

(I did get up this morning and unload and reload the dishwasher before I came to work. In case you were wondering...)

I suppose, enough of these inane ramblings. I need to get some acutal work done, and I really NEED another cuppa coffee.

ta!
~a

No comments: