Thursday, December 27, 2007

Anything that can go wrong...

It's been an interesting week. Both good and bad...

On the 23rd, as I was gearing up to have my dad's side of the family over for Christmas, I saw that I had gotten a phone call on my work cell phone. From a number I knew was our communications center... so I called the on-call person, and found out that we had had a derailment in North Dakota.

Packed myself up, left my hubby with instructions on what to do for the evening (my parents were going to come help...) and hit the road. The road conditions were terrible. I had a discussion with my parents, and we decided to cancel Christmas.

Has anyone really had to cancel Christmas? Yep. That was me.

But on the upside - the cleanup went really quickly, and I was able to get to my parent's house by 4pm on Christmas Eve (after 6 hours of driving - stopping only once to pee, and once to get gas) to enjoy time with my mom's side of the family. Eric and I had reserved a hotel room for the evening, so when we got there we invited the kids that were there to swim in the pool to expend some of their energy before the evening's festivities. There were 22 people there in all. It was a nice evening, if a bit chaotic.

My husband got me a gift that I really liked: a trainer for my bicycle. So now I can bike inside during the winter!

Christmas day, we were at my mother-in-law's house. Both of his sisters were there, along with aunts and cousins, and my stepchildren. Again, a nice time, but I headed out shortly after dinner, since I hadn't been home in a while. They tried to make me feel guilty for leaving, but since I still had my work vehicle, Eric stayed to be social for a while longer.

The roads on the way home were not fun, but I did get home safely.

Yesterday, my stepdaughter and husband had spent the night, so instead of getting up early to brave the shopping, we had a nice relaxing morning. I really like my son-in-law. He has a good head on his shoulders, and really appreciates my stepdaughter. Unlike her last "husband". Yep. She's 24, and is on her second marriage. I think this one is a keeper!

This morning, still on vacation, I got out of the house at about 7:45 to move my work truck because of the snow emergency. Of course the *^#%* thing would not start. And we are one of the streets that pretty much gets plowed at 8am. So, I called the maintenance service, and got the truck towed away to get it repaired. But not before the snow plow plowed it in. Woo hoo. So good person that I am, I shoveled the snow ridge from the street. Then I came in, and stepped in cat barf. Lovely, but there were 4 different spots this morning. Evidently, he has an upset stomach. And he hasn't even been eating all of the decadent Christmas treats!

And on the scedule for the afternoon, getting the house ready for people to come over for dinner tonight. And laundry.

Just pray that we don't have a derailment.
~a

No comments: