Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Community

So what do you do in the community that you live in?

It's been a crazy kind of couple of weeks. I feel so overwhelmed with the amount of "stuff" that I need to do, and I'm just hoping that I can get everything done that I want/need to and not disappoint anyone.

With that being said, it has also been an amazing few days. I have heard more people speak and inspire me in the last four days, it's amazing. And some of the conversations I have had have also been eye opening.

If you know me, you know that I am a member of an organization, that in all actuality, I have not talked about a lot to people that don't know me. And I have decided that needs to stop. The not sharing with people part.... I am a proud member of the Saint Paul Jaycees. We had a state convention last weekend, and it was such a great experience. Put aside the awards our chapter recieved, it was one of the most relaxing and rejuvinating times I have had in a while. (It has taken me 3 months to find time to go to the dentist...) The national Jaycee President spoke at our dinner on Saturday, and I found out something that I did not know: John F Kennedy had two chairs for guests in his oval office, one on either side of his desk. One had a crest of the place that he credited for his "formal" education: Harvard. The other chair had the crest of the place where he credited his "informal" education: the US Jaycees. Did you know that 75% of the US Presidents have been Jaycees?

Skipping forward - the Jaycees International President was at our chapter's board meeting on Monday night. He had to be one of the most interesting and dynamic people I have had the opportunity to see speak. He talked about the orgainzation, and our responsibility to our communities. He challenged us to "live the creed" (The Jaycee Creed):
We believe:
That faith in God gives us meaning and purpose,
That the Brotherhood of Man transcends the sovernty of nations
That economic justice can best be won by free men through free enterprise
That Government should be of laws rather than of men
That Earth's great treasure lies in human personality, and
That Service to Humanity is the best work of life.

What have I done lately to live this way? Started a business, got involved in the government, learned about a new culture, participated in a community event?

As a good friend said to me the other day: If you do something for yourself, it will die with you. If you volunteer, and do something for the community, it will live forever. We have to stop asking the question "What's in it for me?" and just do.

Nothing happens until someone takes action. I have decided I need to surround myself with people that are going to challenge me, and to raise me up, and inspire me.

Anyone with me?
~a

1 comment:

JessiferSeabs said...

For months I've been saying, "I want to volunteer at thsi women's center near my house."

I want you to know that today, after reading your post yesterday and thinking about it, I finnnnallllly got off my butt and called them, downloaded the application, and have gotten the ball rolling (defined references, etc).

thanks!
~jess

PS: How is corky, and is she blogging?