Friday, October 16, 2009

Did you know I ran a marathon?

I did.

That was me, crossing the finish line, hugging my husband with the "official" clock reading something line 5 hours and 25 minutes.

(And I say "official" clock, as it wasn't the big clock hanging over the finish line - that crapped out at 4 hours and 72 minutes... so they had another clock that they had taken from hear the beginning of the 10-mile race set up right next to the finish line - I know these things, as my husband runs the clock at the finish line.)

And how do I feel about it?

Honestly? Kind of ambivalent. Isn't that a funny sentiment? But that's it folks - my feelings are kind of, been there, done that. Crazy that 6 months of training will get you a feeling that is best described as "eh". I thought I would feel different, like I had really accomplished something, but .... you get the picture.

I guess it comes from having the IT band problems through the last half of the race, and all of the walking I had to do because of the pain. I really wanted to RUN the marathon. Not walk more than a quarter of it. Maybe that's it. I know I can get a better time, but I don't really want to spend the time training for another marathon. I want to run because I enjoy running.

I guess it's back to the short races, like 10K's and half marathons. Now I just have to get off my ass and get back running.

Minnesota weather - can you please help me out?

~a

No comments: